Salient features of the International Money Transfer Service:
As a result of the collaboration of the Department of Posts, Government of India with the Western Union Financial Services, USA, a state of the art International Money transfer Service is now available through the post offices in India, which enables instantaneous remittance of money from 185 countries to India. The recipients can in fact collect the money in minutes after the sender has made the remittance.
The service is targeted to particularly fulfill the needs of NRI dependent families in India, visiting International tourists and foreign students studying in India.
The International Money Transfer process is as follows: -
1. To avail of this Service, a remitter goes to any one of the more than 100,000 Western Union Locations in the 185 countries in which the Service operates , fills up a "To send money" form and pays principal amount and charges.
The sender gets a Money Transfer Control Number on a receipt after the transaction is sent through the system. Thereafter, the sender calls up his/her payee and gives information on the money sent. The Payee / Receiver goes to the post office , fills up a "To receive money" form shows valid identification and receives money along with the receipt, once the transaction is verified. This entire process is completed within ten minutes.
2. The Payee receives the full amount in Indian Rupees. There is not more than 2500 USD can be sent at a time as per applicable RBI regulations which must however be only for personal use..
3. The Post offices have been directed to treat the payee as "Most Favoured Customers", which ensures courteous and efficient service to them.
4. For the sake of facilitating the transactions, the recipients can use any one of the following documents to establish their identity:
a) Voter Card b) Passport c) Driving License d) Income Tax PAN Card
5. The Post office also provides its own identity card to regular customers so that other proof of identity does not have to be provided by them again.
6. The service is currently available in all the State/Union Territory capitals and other major cities in the country and by the end of March , it is proposed to be expanded to Head Post offices at the district headquarters.
7. This International Money Transfer Service is safe, legal, fast & reliable. Also, it is approved by the Reserve Bank of India and is being provided by a Department of the Government of India i.e. the Department of Post.
9. At present the Post office will only provide its customers with the facility of receiving money and not of sending money from India to other countries, as per applicable RBI instructions.
10. On the request of the NRI community , the department is open to extending the services to any other location (village/town/city) as well, which has the potential clientele.
11. For further information on the service, the International representatives of the Western Union Financial Services International can be contacted in any of the 185 countries from which the service is available.
12. Requests for extension of the service to any part ; town / village / city in India along with any other feedback by Indian missions as well as NRI bodies can be provided directly to Project Manager, International Money Transfer Services , Department of Posts, Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg , New Delhi PIN : 110 001, Tel : 91-11-3354842 , Fax: 91-11-3354843.
13. So far in the first year the post offices brought in about 10 million dollars to the country.
List of Post Offices covered for the Western Union Money Transfer Scheme
Details about agents at sending points
Please visit www.westernunion.com